Google Pulls Through Once Again


When conducting a search online, there are a few search engines I would primarily use; one of which being my all time favorite, Google. If Google wasn’t performing, I may try Yahoo and sometimes Ask.com. Usually I take what Google says as truth, and end my search there.


After searching Google for the top rated search engines, I found that Google had stolen the lead with 70 percent of searchers using their site. Next in line was Yahoo with 17 percent, followed by Bing with 9.5 percent and lastly, Ask with 2.3 percent.


As my search went on, I found that there were other interesting search engines to choose from, such as DogPile and MSN.com. I wanted to see which site I liked the best, so I searched for “Lexmark Flash Drive” on four sites. DogPile, Bing, MSN and my beloved Google. I wanted to see how the results differed.


DogPile- I liked how the home page wasn’t jammed with ads and ‘extras’ but still had some color and substance to make the site catch the eye. DogPile is a multi-site search engine, so it actually searched Google, Yahoo, Bing and Ask at one time. This sounds like a helpful tool, which it is, but in the search itself there were so many ads, I could barely find decent content to look at. The ads are indicated at the link under the description of the site, but they blend in with all the other searches that it was to time consuming trying to fish though all the ads.


Bing- New name for old MSN engine?


MSN- MSN’s homepage seemed to be a bit cluttered for my personal taste. I did enjoy how it had a drop down box to assist me as I was typing , accentually saving time. I liked how all there ads were placed at the top and sides only. Not in the search itself. Although, it never took me to Lexmark’s website, just websites that talked about Lexmark and/or sold there products.


Google- I really like Google’s simplistic approach on their homepage. No ads, not flashy signage, just their unique logo and the search bar. Once I typed in what I was searching for, it went strait to a list of well-organized content. Ads were only on the side, being separated by a line down the middle to keep out of the way of the search content. The ‘Sponsored links’ were in yellow and labeled so you knew they were ads. The first site on the list was Lexmark’s homepage. I liked this a lot, because who knows more about a product than the company who makes it. All around, Google is a very well put together, simplistic yet well-stocked source of information.


After doing my research, I can see why 70 percent of interne users use Google when it comes to searching for something online.

No comments: